Friday, September 23, 2005

 

Where Do You Focus Your Attention?

I have noticed that when I am looking at something, there is a light aura around it. As I focus on the object the light around it expands. More on this later.

Picture this. You open a book to read and instead of finding words on the page like you're used to, you see a block of letters. Allyoucanseeisjumbledwords (All you can see is jumbled words). It would be totally meaningless. You would have to try and make sense of these letters.

The Universe is like a bunch of letters jumbled together without any meaning. It is your consciousness, your beliefs and expectations, that bring meaning to it. Your beliefs and expectations are your intention. To experience a reality is to create order out of apparent chaos.

The other day on a bus journey it was very hot and sunny. I was sitting upstairs, right in front, enjoying the view. I could have sat at the back in the shade but I liked where I was sitting. I could easily have focused on myself as Spirit so I don't feel the heat, but I couldn't be bothered. I simply wanted to be in the shade. I asked the sun to tone down its glare but it only seemed to glare more brightly. I turned my attention to what I wanted to experience - shade for the entire journey. The bus turned into a road where my side of the bus was in shade. Great. At the next road I was back in the sun, but I focused on shade. I noticed as we drove by, there were trees providing shade.

A young boy and his mother got on and sat on the seats adjacent to mine. The boy complained that it was too hot and he wanted some shade. His mother suggested they sit at the back but the boy wanted to sit in front. Interesting. Here I am asking the Universe for shade, and a boy asking his mother for shade. He lay his head on his mother's lap and she provided some shade for him. At one point he raised his head just in time to find the bus stopping underneath a tree. He pointed this out to his mother.

In the meantime, I continued to see only shade. I was so focused on shade that when there was no shade it still felt cooler. For the rest of the journey the sun hid behind the clouds and I enjoyed a cooler journey.

Years ago I went on holidays to Australia to visit my boyfriend. It was summer in Australia at the time and we spent a month travelling in his campervan from one national park to another. I couldn't cope with the heat. At one point, I collapsed with heat stroke. I also kept wishing it would rain. To make matters worse, there were all these flies I couldn't stand. I even got stung by a fly which was a shock to my system. My boyfriend said he'd read about flies stinging people in text books but never realised it was possible until it happened to me. The more I thought about flies the more they seemed to appear. Eventually I got used to the climate and it felt a lot cooler. I even got used to the flies; or maybe I learned to appreciate them. I doubt it. Ha!

Later, I realised that I had so focused my attention on heat and flies they were magnified in my experience. I found out from my friend that as soon as I left Australia, it started to rain. My friend got stuck in his campervan for a while because the roads were flooded. Ooops!

The next summer in London I applied what I had learned about focusing only on what I wanted to experience. When it was hot, I focused on the breeze and cool weather. I found in my reality it felt cool while consensus reality was experiencing a heat wave. There have been times when I've had my cardigan on and seen people with shorts and t-shirts. I would be surprised to learn that the average temperature that day was in the high 80s while in my reality it felt like 71 degrees Fahrenheit. Oh well.

As you can see cold and heat, glare and shade, all possibilities exist in the same space. Wherever you put your attention is what you will experience in your reality. The more you focus your attention on something, the more of it you will experience. Why? Because you are actually drawing to you much of the same.

Now, it begins to make sense about having a belief in something whether it is a belief in God or a particular doctrine. To believe is to have an intention. When you consistently give your attention to a belief, you are perpetuating that intention which is magnified in your experience. Here are a few examples in the scriptures:

"O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together." (Psalm 34: 3)

"I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving." (Psalm 69: 30)

"And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour." (Luke 1: 46-47)
I believe in the One Power called Love that is in all. When I give my attention to a belief in a powerful being called God, I am magnifying God in my experience. It doesn't matter whether I'm making it up or not. All that matters is my experience of God. So it is good to believe in a God of Love, Wisdom and Power. It is good to believe that this God is the only power. As you magnify this God in your life you have the equivalent experience.

We all want to experience peace and love in the world. Infinite love, peace, wisdom, abundance, power exists now. You simply have to focus on what is. You can't have peace when your attention is on fear. Watch the news and you'll see what I mean. Imagine how many millions watch the news each day. By giving the news their attention, millions of people are unwittingly magnifying the situation. Of course, if the media's intent is to demonstrate love or peace then that intent would be magnified in people's lives. I love watching murder mysteries on television. My intention is entertainment and fun and it is that intention that has my attention, and it is my fun and joy that is magnified. I don't expect murder to be magnified because that is not my intention. But the media doesn't see things that way. The media's intention is to give out information, at least what they consider to be information about wars and disasters which is magnifying fear. You can't have peace if your focus is on disasters. As I have written elsewhere: "The world will appear to be in pieces until we realise peace is."

There was a time in my life when I was very fearful. I had been meditating for years, and had even experienced cosmic consciousness many times. By cosmic consciousness I mean when you realise yourself as the Light in all. Yet, I felt immense fear. I believe once you have experienced yourself as the Light, your thoughts are very powerful indeed. If you only focus on fear, you will end up feeling even more fearful. I was also praying for the fear to go away and tried many different techniques, but my focus was on the fear and not on peace. I started focusing on being peaceful. One thing that really helped me was chanting. I would chant Hari Krishna whenever I could. I made sure there was no space between thoughts for me to panic about something. I also started reading passages from the Bible, even memorised a few. On my walks I would repeat Psalm 91 over and over again until the Psalm came to life within me and wiped out the fearful thoughts.

In the beginning of this piece, I spoke about how a light aura appears around an object that has my attention and how the light magnifies the more I focus on the object. This light is the essence of all creation. The Light plus intention, i.e. my beliefs and expectations bring about creation, i.e. that which I experience in my reality.

Attention (Light) + Intention = Reality
The peace that we seek already exists within the All There Is. We are the All There Is. To have peace I don't focus on fear, nor do I try to get rid of or fight fear. I focus on peace instead or focus on God.

Attention is very powerful indeed. What you focus your attention on will magnify.

I magnify only Good, at least what I consider to be Good, in my life.

Love, Peace and Light,
Enocia

Related article: More Examples About Focusing Your Attention



<< Home