Thursday, August 11, 2005

 

A World in a Grain of Sand

In Auguries of Innocence, William Blake writes:

"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour."
I see the totality of everything in a grain of sand. That totality is in me, in the computer, in the chair, all space, everywhere. The totality is unconditioned, i.e. it doesn't follow any known rules. Things just happen. The moment you try to find a reason or explanation, you're putting restrictions and conditions and you end up living in a universe of conditions. The Universe is inherently unconditioned.

So I put the floppy disc into the slot and opened the file. A message came up that my disc wasn't formatted. What do you mean? I've just saved my work on disc. I tried again and a message came up again saying the disc needed formatting. I want access to the file and I want it now. Time to take action: beg. "Disc, please open up so I can do my work. Ta." I tried again and got access to the files.

The other day I had a funny experience on a bus journey. I saw passengers being tossed about on their seats. I could hear passengers cussing the bus driver for reckless driving. There we were supposedly sharing the same reality as in the bus journey, but my experience of the bus ride was smooth all the way. I didn't have a human bus driver, the Universe was and is my driver.

There is no difference between me and a grain of sand. The same unconditioned Intelligence in the sand is in me and in everything. Everything in the Universe is my friend.

All my love,
Enocia



<< Home