Wednesday, August 17, 2005

 

Making the Inner and Outer One

"When you make the two one, and when you make the inner as the outer and the outer as the inner and the above as the below, and when you make the male and the female into a single one, so that the male will not be male and the female not be female, when you make eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in the place of a hand, and a foot in the place of a foot, and an image in the place of an image, then shall you enter the Kingdom." (Gospel of Thomas)
One of the reasons why I love the American comedy, Sex and the City, is because the girls remind me of how I used to be in past relationships. No, not their sexual antics, I wish; I used to spend hours analysing my relationships with my girlfriends. I believed men and women were from different planets and couldn't understand one another. My girlfriends and I would come up with various reasons why a boyfriend was behaving in a particular way. I would analyse my relationship to death. In hindsight, the signs were always there and oh, so simple: he just wasn't that into me. Hehehe!

If you are someone who is playing the game of being a woman, you might see men as a different species that don't understand the female of the species, and need help decoding men's behaviour; and vice versa. You might even see men as the enemy in a patriarchal society depriving women of their freedom. If you are someone who identifies yourself as a particular sexuality, you might see others of a different sexuality as not being able to empathise with you. There are infinite ways to express insanity.

The bottom line is it is all about communication, learning to speak one another's language. Over the years I've been on various personal development courses to learn how to communicate and be in rapport with other people. Because I was playing the game of being human, I found these courses to be of immense value. I reckon it would be so much easier, and cheaper, if we had a Universal Translator as they do in Star Trek. Sigh.

Back to the topic in hand. The spiritual path for me is making everything Spirit. How can this be achieved? By realising that there is only One within and without. The One within is Essence, the creative power and intelligence that is always seeking to express Self. The One within is me, you, the cat, the dog, everything in its purest state of Love.

All is the One. What we experience as the material universe is the One without. Right now, the One within i.e. the world that we are all experiencing without does not quite match the One within; if they did match, the world wouldn't be in the state it is now. Why is that?

Ask the One within why you are in pain and His response is "I am wholeness." This kind of response is madness to the human. "What do you mean I am whole. Can't you see I am in agony here?" Ask the One within how to meet your needs and the response is "I am Abundance" or "All is yours." Again, this kind of answer is baffling to the human. Is it possible that the human and the One within are speaking two different languages? Is the human from Mars and the One within from Venus, as John Gray would put it? Hahaha.

The One within is the same One expressing without, or rather it should be the same. The human without is not living as the One within because of break down in communication and misperception. When the human self is in agony and the One within tells him he is already whole, he doesn't realise he is the Voice within giving himself counsel. As far as the human self is concerned, the One within is from another planet, Venus.

The human self has bought into the idea of an ego self, preventing him from being who he is. There is no ego, carnal or mortal mind keeping one imprisoned in the human realm. There is only one Self. You are that Self. You made the decision to have a human life so you can make your inner world the same as the human. In other words, you are here to make heaven and earth one.

In order to experience “heaven and earth as one” as a tangible form, the within and the without have to be in synchrony. They have to be speaking the same language. There is one way to speak the One within's language: agree with Him. It is that simple. If you the human self is in pain and you call upon the One within for assistance and you hear "I am Wholeness," agree. You could thank the You within. You could acknowledge the truth that you are already whole. Or you could say, "Yes dear, whatever you say dear." (smile) Ignore the sensations without and keep trusting in the truth of who you are. Don’t even think of falling back on your old human ways. Do nothing, just observe as you are made whole, as if by magic.

The human self can be a tough cookie. Believe me, I know. But there have been many times when I have asked for help and been given a vision or words of counsel, trusted and witnessed its manifestation. For instance, for years I had this nagging knee pain that made it painful to walk. I must have tried all the therapies known to man. I finally prayed to God. (I wasn't aware that there was only One at the time). I was shown an image of myself running. It was difficult for me to believe but I accepted it. I stopped all therapies. The time soon came when I ran for a bus and I saw the fulfilment of that vision.

How does one know when one is speaking to the One within? The One within always wants what is best for you. He doesn’t judge you. He wants you to be fulfilled and live joyfully. Who do you think gave you the desire in the first place? You, of course. So the outer you/human self has to align yourself with the inner You.

In Jesus' teachings, we see evidence of the inner and outer Self merging as one. Jesus refers to the inner Self as Father, and the outer Self as Son.

"The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel." (John 5: 19-20)

"I and my Father are one." (John 10: 30)

"And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me." (John 12: 45)

"He that hath seen me hath seen the Father." (John 14: 9)
As you can see Jesus knows that he and the Father are one and the same. The problem arose when people interpreted the Father to mean the Almighty God that is out there; and humans as sons and daughters of God. When you see yourself as the son of God you are separating yourself from yourself.

The analogy of Father and Son is a useful model but can be misconstrued. I prefer to see reality as the One God within and without. The One within is expressed as the One without on its own terms. The One without can do nothing; the works are always carried out by the One within. The One without is evidence of the One within. But when the One without/human forgets he is the same as the One within, he bows down to worship himself. By all means, worship the One within if that rocks your world. Never forget that the One you are worshipping is You.

So you have now realised that the One within is you. You now listen to Yourself and ensure that you are always in harmony. What happens is that the world you live in, be it earth or wherever in the galaxy, now acts in the same way as your inner world. Nature is obedient to you because nature is the outer You. You can now expect the whole universe to be in harmony with you because the outer universe is You.

A funny thing happened the other day on a bus journey. I was dreaming up a joke involving a dog. The moment I thought of "dog" a dog barked. I turned round to see a dog sitting a few seats behind. He obviously caught the thought and responded. It made me chuckle to myself.

There is only one Self within and without. He is You. You just need to speak the same language.

With Love,
Enocia



<< Home