Saturday, August 13, 2005

 

Can Self-Realisation be Taught?

As humans we know ourselves. Even when we know we can be a lot more, we know what feels right for us at any moment and what doesn't work. What happens when you are having an experience you feel doesn't resonate with you? You stop it, right?

Over the last couple of weeks I have been getting repeated thoughts telling me to be open as I am attracting people who want to know more about my path, some even looking for a teacher. Being a teacher is as appealing to me as garlic is to Dracula. Besides, I know that we are all the same; unique, but the same. We don't need to be taught what we already are.

I was also aware that the thoughts I was having was coming from universal mind of men who believe one has to evolve, and be taught to be who we are. It may very well have been this mind that inspired me to set this website up in the first place.

Well, a few days ago I received an email from someone asking questions. He said he and his friend have been looking for someone to help clear their doubts about self-realisation.

Can I teach someone how to be Self? There is only Self; I can't teach what already is. I can remind others that they are already Self. I can encourage others to practise being Self.

Here are a few ideas which are maps I have found useful. Bear in mind that the "map is not the territory."

What is Self?

As humans, we have many masks that define us such as brother, sister, son, daughter, mother, father, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, cousin, grandson, granddaughter, grandmother, grandfather, husband, wife, lover, friend, qualifications, occupation, class, race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, nationality, political beliefs, philosophy, spiritual beliefs, thoughts, emotions, personal beliefs, desires, etc. When you remove all these masks, what are you left with? Nothing. This emptiness is what I understand to be Self.

It is Self that is behind the various masks, though Self is not the masks. We are so used to these masks that we believe we are these masks. Self is who we are.

How do I know when I am being Self?

When you have no identity you are being Self.
When you have no thoughts you are being Self.

Use your imagination to evoke that state. Imagine you've got nothing to worry about; you don't need to worry about where your next "bread and butter" is coming from. Imagine all you will ever need have always been provided; and they appear as and when. Heck, observe how blissful babies are. Their needs are always being met. This is your real Self. There are no thoughts, no beliefs, nothing. Anchor that feeling of bliss. Be this Self.

Are there other ways of knowing when you are being Self?

When you are in silence you are being Self.
When you are in the moment and only focused on what you are being/doing, you are being Self.
When you are not making any associations and just accepting things as they are, you are being Self.

Are there teachings or tools to help with knowing Self?

We are all unique. If you expect teachers in a human form, you will be attracted to ones that are right for you. There are tools one can use to practise being Self such as meditation or yoga.

Is realising Self a process or something you have to work at?

Self realisation occurs in an instant. When you make the commitment that you wish to realise Self, you are actually saying I am Self. Once you've declared it, you have to live as Self. To put it another way, if you know you can fly, fly.

For instance, I used to love wearing sun-glasses. I was like the creatures from the movie, Gremlins, who were afraid of bright light. One day, four years ago, I decided it was time to experience life without shades. It took a while but I got used to not wearing sunglasses. I also realised that the sun is only harmful if you believe it is. I can now look at the sun without experiencing any glare. I also used to wear prescription glasses. I haven't worn them in years, nor have I been to an optician.

I also realised that it is Self that quickens this body, therefore, my existence is not dependent on air, food or drink. It wasn't enough to just know this intellectually, it had to be tested. I can now eat anything I want as I know that Self is in all food, thus, it is all Good. I have also had innumerable experiences of instant healings because I know who I am.

What if I find it hard?

You have to be persistent. Remember you are already Self; you are simply practising being yourself. Be persistent and always be accepting of yourself. Treat yourself the way you'd treat a baby. You wouldn't criticise a baby, who has just started walking, for not walking as sturdily as you. If you find you are not being Self, let that moment go; there is always another moment to practise being Self. Just be focused on who you are.

What about lifestyle choices, can one who is Self-realised have sex? Can you have kids, get married?

Self is unconditioned. When you are being Self you are trusting in Self to guide you in a life/path that is right for you. Don’t expect a book of dos and don’ts of living. Only you can decide what is right for you.

What is the purpose of these writings?

I see my writings as tools to encourage and inspire others about other ways of being, not to instruct others how to live. I am also aware that I can’t tell anyone reading my experiences how to interpret them; people are free to read whatever meanings they find useful.

Whatever path you choose, I support you all on your “journeys.”

Love always,
Enocia



<< Home