Wednesday, July 13, 2005

 

The Nature of Being

"So where exactly is this buddha nature? It is in the sky-like nature of our mind. Utterly open, free and limitless, it is fundamentally so simple and so natural that it can never be complicated, corrupted, or stained, so pure that it is beyond even the concept of purity and impurity. To talk of this nature of mind as sky-like, of course, is only a metaphor that helps us to begin to imagine its all-embracing boundlessness, for the Buddha nature has a quality the sky cannot have, that of the radiant clarity of awareness. As it is said: 'It is simply your flawless present awareness, cognizant and empty, naked and awake.'" (The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, Sogyal Rinpoche, p. 49)

Who am I? I am Self. I am Being.

Being is a consciousness that is free of thoughts, just pure awareness. The moment I start wondering why I am not thinking, I've lost it. The moment I try to define the awareness when I am in that state, it's gone. Awareness is simply being.

When I first started this website, it was to demonstrate what I refer to as the one Self in all. I have written elsewhere

"Self is our beloved, who wants all of to prosper and express infinite perfection." The One Self in All
I believe that in order to prosper one must be Self, essence that is empty of all thoughts, beliefs and concepts.

While I was pondering on these ideas, I was waiting at the bus station for my bus. A bus I didn't want turned up and all the passengers got off leaving the bus empty. Sometimes, when the bus is getting to the end of its route, the driver is usually driving an empty bus. The driver waited for a few minutes and then two passengers got on. I would imagine that if a bus driver were to cover an entire route without picking up any passengers, the bus company will start to worry. They may either reduce the service or stop that route altogether.

Driving an empty bus is the equivalent of going about one's affairs being Self. Just as bus companies don't appreciate empty buses, we don't seem to enjoy being in this state for long. The moment we are empty we need to fill ourselves up again with ideas. We say we are trying to free ourselves from programming of dual mind. I observe people exchanging one version of oneness for another. They replace personal and other beliefs with another's ideals, try to proselytise these ideals as the only truth, and want everyone to follow these ideals, thus, creating oneness. What is the point of that? Where is the freedom in spouting off the same stuff? I believe that instead of looking to externals to fill you up with new ideas, empty yourself of ideas and be Self.

You might argue that there is no practical use for being Self. How can you live in a state of pure being? Actually being is very practical, for it is Being that takes on different roles while being detached from those roles.

Being can be a writer but Being is not a writer.
Being can be a teacher but Being is not a teacher.
Being can be a parent but Being is not a parent.
Being can be any animal but Being is not an animal.
Being can be any form but Being is not a form or a thing.

When you are Being you are everything even that which you seek.

Be and then be what you want to be.

Here's an inspired piece by Nyoshul Khenpo Rinpoche about the nature of Being.

"Profound and tranquil, free from complexity,
Uncompounded luminous clarity,
Beyond the mind of conceptual ideas;
This is the depth of the mind of the Victorious Ones.
In this there is not a thing to be removed,
Nor anything that needs to be added.
It is merely the immaculate
Looking naturally at itself." (Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, Sogyal Rinpoche, p. 50)
Simply Being,
Enocia



<< Home