Thursday, July 14, 2005

 

Is it Necessary to Focus on the Positive?

A dear friend posted the following question on the message board which is worth addressing, but I promise I won't analyse it too much. (smile)

"Why is it that we can think positive about a situation but then the other person sees nothing but negative? I am confused once again. Please help me with this one it means the world to me. Right now I can't seem to move out of the way to get the answer."
You know we've got so used to judging by appearances. We're constantly meeting people and having to deal with social situations. When you meet someone for the first time, you judge the other by appearances, behaviour, or by what we call the "vibe", which determines whether you like or dislike the individual. Spend enough time with the other and you either get to revise or reinforce your opinion.

On the other hand, those who realise there is more to appearances know we all share the one Self, which some call Love, that judges no one and no thing. You know this intellectually and believe everyone to be the one Self, Buddha, Love or God, yet you still judge things people and situations as good or bad, positive or negative, etc.

In my quest to stay focused on the positive, I've tried many different techniques from psycho-analysis, visualisation, affirmations, energy healing, etc. While I got some excellent results, they were never permanent. It was a constant battle trying to be conscious of my thoughts or looking for a cause. The only thing that has helped is realising my nature as Self that is the one Self in all.

Back to the above question, I believe "positive" and "negative" are man-made constructs that have nothing to do with Self. Here are a few quotes about the Self, God or Buddha which I agree with.

"The Lord is everywhere
And always perfect:
What does He care for man's sin
Or the righteousness of man?" (Bhagavad Gita - translated by Swami Prabhavananda & Christopher Isherwood)

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God." (Luke 18: 19)

"Utterly open, free and limitless, it [buddha nature] is fundamentally so simple and so natural that it can never be complicated, corrupted, or stained, so pure that it is beyond even the concept of purity and impurity." (The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, Sogyal Rinpoche)
In other words, Self is perfect where nothing we do as human, good or bad, can make any difference to It. Thus, if you think you are being positive and another negative, you are only seeing from a human perspective. Your beliefs have nothing to do with Self.

Self is your real nature, pure awareness without any concepts, beliefs or thoughts but not many are aware of Its presence. As you practise awareness of Self in the silence you are forming a new habit of being the presence. Self then takes over and you'll find that you won't be concerned so much about human positivity or negativity. Even if you were to resort to the old ways of judging, you will find that Self will automatically silence your thoughts, or remind you in a way that is specially tailored for your needs how to stay in Its presence.

And you know something, I no longer have to labour over positive thinking or focus on the positive. None of that matters. Only Self matters. My nature is Self and that Self is the same Self in all. Self is my only focus.

The short answer to the above question is leave human conditions alone. Be still and be Self.

All my love,
Enocia



<< Home